Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting Old!

Ok, so I am now officially old. Last night I had my first rehearsal with the band at Valley Church. I may not have been the oldest guy there, but I'm getting close. Most of the rhythm players are probably in their early twenties. Anyway at one point while rehearsing "Only A God Like You" by Tommy Walker, during the instrumental break after the second chorus, I asked the keyboard player if he could give me some Bruce Hornsby action over the top. He just looked at me with a blank look and said "I have no idea what you're saying to me?" I then had to explain who Bruce Hornsby is, so finally I'm like, "you know...(singing) 'That's just the way it is. Some things will never change." When the electric guitar player, another twenty something, says..."Oh! You mean Tupac! I didn't know Bruce Hornsby did it too?"

If you're curious I had to dig it up and found it here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBAZfgMK5TQ)

Yeesh!

The old man.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Start counting how many times you say, "When I was your age..."

This over-40 thing is SO not what I thought it would be!

John C said...

ya - I had the same kinda thing at Parkview with the college kids when they were like "Jeff Porcaro - who? Steve Gadd - who? Toto - who?"

John C said...

BTW - is your blog title "POINTed in a new direction" a clever reference to your past job? (well, 2 jobs ago, now!)

Admin said...

Ummm... I can neither confirm nor deny that. :)

Tim