Monday, July 14, 2008

A New Day


Hello world. Tim Yates here. For those of you who don't know me, I reside in Des Moines, Iowa. I have been happily married to a wonderful woman for almost 16 years now, and we have two lovely children. We are, the perfect American family; husband, wife, daughter and son...and a dog named George. I begin writing this blog though in a season of change for myself, a bit of a transition in my life. Now I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I just recently turned 40, but as of October of last year (07) I have began a new chapter in my life.
As a small child I grew up in Phoenix Arizona, where my parents attended a small pentecostal church, The Church Of Jesus, and it's here where I began my walk with God. It here at this small church when I was a child that we used to have a missionary, Douglas Carol, who would come once a year and speak to our church about the wondrous things that God was doing in South Africa. It was pretty low tech, slide show and all, but he would speak for at least an hour each Sunday he would visit and share story after story of the great things God was doing. Miraculous things! I remember it was during those talks when the ministry bug hit me. It was the adventure of it all, the entire lifestyle, knowing all the while that the God of the universe was on your side working on your behalf.
I say all of that to tell you this, that over the past year or two I have missed that sense of adventure. I have felt that when it came to ministry I was sort of locked into a routine job, with no hope of adventure or change for that matter. So in October of 07 I was given the cue by God it was time for me to move on. Which brings us to today. I am currently President of MinistryHub.com, an idea that God dropped in my lap in 05 and has consumed me ever since, as well as the worship leader at Westview church (www.westview.org). For some time now I have been feeling the urge to begin a blog, I mean after all I have been coaching others to do this for years now, so after much thought and procrastination I give you "Pointed In A New Direction." This blog will be about many things; ministry, marketing, editing, writing, arranging, advertising, my family, humor as well as my life in general, as I set out to discover what God has in store for this new 40 year old. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the ants!

Reminds me of one time on a team retreat at Navy Pier in Chicago, they gave each of us a polaroid camera and we were told to take a picture of something that represents where we were at in life at the moment. I took a picture of the blurred merry go round horses going round and round . . . alluding to feeling like I'm running in circles, always with a big smile on my face looking like nothing's wrong, but in reality feeling like I'm going nowhere!

kjw said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

I enjoyed your thoughts on the missionary that would come to your church. I remember how cool it was to have a missionary show some "slides" in church - talk about high tech -

Maybe your journey will help me when I turn 40 - Glad you are taking notes! I look forward going on this ride with you!

kjw

Anonymous said...

Timmy!

Welcome to the blog-o-sphere! Now I can keep up with you as well.

*high five*

Admin said...

I know isn't it cool!

I enjoy reading your stuff as well.

Tim